Friday, May 8, 2009

Breathing Again

Do you know what it's like to hold your breath for six days?? Harrison didn't have internet access for nearly a week, and I was expecting to hear from him after day two, so needless to say, I was a little nervous. But finally yesterday I got an email from him in the morning, and I got to talk to him on Skype later that day. Phew!! He is doing well. He finished up his travels in Egypt by climbing Mt. Sinai (Moses...Ten Commandments...heard of it??) then they snorkeled in the Red Sea. Now he is in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 roommates. One is married and left his wife in Provo (we can relate!) and the other two are apparently super geniuses who graduated high school early and are in their 3rd year of Arabic at 18. They will have their bachelors before they head off on their missions. Over achievers? I think so.

Today he went to church. Friday is their Sabbath and Sunday is any other day to them in the Middle East. He said it is so amazing to go to church in that part of the world and to meet all the military families serving there. It will be excited to see what he learns from those he meets and to see how our little family could be living someday.

He is also growing the best mustache. And by "best" I mean, he has 3 1/2 months to enjoy it, because it "best" be gone by the time he gets home or else no kisses from me. I guess most of the guys from BYU in their program are growing one because so many Arabs have them over there and they are adapting to their surroundings. OR, they know their wives wouldn't let them grow one at home and this is their only chance :)

6 comments:

Merrick said...

I'm SO glad you've finally heard from him. I was thinking about you all the time over the last few days, hoping you'd heard.

Also, I'm glad we're on the same page with the mustaches. So so bad. Why do guys love them??

Nate + Carlee said...

I just LOVE reading your blog. You have such a great attitude, and you are such a great mommy. I am so impressed that you have a little one and a husband gone, and yet you are still so positive. Keep up the great work sister!

Nate + Carlee said...

Also, Nate grew an awesome mustache too once--and by "awesome" I mean he looked like a total pedophile...

Anonymous said...

aw christine...I miss you..Thanks so much for writing this so i know whats going on with my brother whom i miss like crazy...would i be able to email him? Im so proud of you for hangin in there. Thats so awesome harry gets to go one all these awesome adventures, im jealous hah! Hope your doing well i love you!

:Brittany: said...

Agh Christine! How hard but I am so proud of you for keeping your spirits up!
I personally like the facial hair! Is manly!
Can't wait to see you this summer!

Brittany Shae said...

Um.. could you tell Nicole that her blog is open to invited readers only and I need an invite! :)