Wednesday, April 17, 2013

To all the Moms

Isn't motherhood exhausting? I. Am. Tired.

And I have a bone to pick with social media.  Facebook, blogs, and Instagram have made it so easy for us to post all the wonderful things we do.  The fabulous meals we cook, the fun crafts we make, the perfect outfit we wore, the kid-friendly outing we went on, how much weight we've lost, the perfect thing we've sewn...the list goes on and on.  How easy is it to be discouraged when we see a continuous news feed of all the perfectly perfect things others have done, and we have not?

You know what picture I'd like to see on Instagram?  A mom in sweatpants eating Oreos while her kids are watching a movie at 3pm still wearing their PJs.  You know you've had days like that before.  Let's not be ashamed to admit it.

We are too hard on ourselves as moms.  I know I stress over the smallest things sometimes.  I get so embarrassed when Jack throws a tantrum, or I find myself worrying about Fisher not speaking yet.  I look at my house and tear myself down for it not being as clean as I'd like it to be. I compare myself to others who are "such better moms than me". 

Because there really are moms out there who look beautiful and put together everyday.  They make every meal from scratch using only organic ingredients.  Their house is spotless. They never let their kids watch TV, and they never use their smart phone while their kids are awake.  Their kids are perfectly behaved, well-mannered, smart, obedient, healthy eaters, and freshly bathed 100% of the time.  Right???? 

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  We all have good days and bad days.  Sometimes I am Super-Mom.  Sometimes I am Lazy-Mom.  But I know overall, I am a good mom.  Say it with me, "I AM A GOOD MOM."  We are too hard on ourselves. We are our own worst critics.  So stop tearing yourself down, and celebrate the little victories.  Tomorrow is always a brand new day.  Improve yourself where you feel the need, set goals for yourself, but don't drive yourself crazy about it. 

Being a mom is the best job in the world, I am positive of that.  It is so fulfilling and rewarding to be responsible for another human being.  It is a divine role from God, and we are so blessed to be given the opportunity to raise these sweet, innocent children. I am grateful for my kiddos.  I love them so much, I might even have me some more :) 

Sincerely,
A happily exhausted mother of two.

P.S. Please keep posting all of your awesomeness on social media. I am in no way saying we shouldn't be able to showcase our talents and achievements!! :)

12 comments:

:Brittany: said...

I hear ya sister friend!
I choose to only post the happy pictures because I hate dwelling on the craziness!
I understand what youre saying about pinterest meals and decor but I don't do that to be a "super mom" or to looo better than others, I do it because thats my type of personality! I don't know. I just think every mom is different and I don't worry, let alone care whst they're up to or how they're raising their kids. I agree, we are GREAT moms! Love ya. Hang in there. Hopefully that man of yours will be home soon!

Krewson Family said...

So what I needed tonight as I am up late working on a paper with a 6 month sleeping in his swing with the lights on still because family is crashing in our front room and the boy is sick and will not sleep in his crib. :) Oh today I was proud to have gotten my kids in the bath at 10 am and guess what? they got put back right in another set of pj's. So thanks for your honesty and willingness to express what I have been feeling for months!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! It made me feel way better about myself. I feel like I am so mean sometimes to boston because he started his crazy tantrum-ness. LOVE YOU!!

Nicole said...

LOVE THIS!! So well written, sometimes I wish I could express what's insides, just like you we're able to do in this post, surely one of your talents. Love you Christine! I'm proud to be a mom with you, it is the BEST job in the world! (Ps. I wouldn't recommend reading an adoption blog post and then reading this, my tears are All over) :)

Snyderemarks said...

Great post Christine. (I suspect you just had a poor example of housekeeping at your babysitter's house when you were little.) Just to reassure you about Fisher's speech... I remember a little girl that didn't seem to want to learn to talk (mostly because her older sister and cousins would fulfill her every desire before she knew she desired it). I asked the older children not to get her anything until she asked for it. She started talking shortly thereafter (and some would say never quit;)). Keep up the good work, you're a wonderful mom and woman!

Anonymous said...

You probably don't remember me but I used to babysit you when you were little. You didn't talk much at all. Loved this post and wish all you moms realized how incredible you truly are. I have no kids and there are days I spend in yoga pants and a t-shirt eating Oreos reading a guilty pleasure book. We all need to stop beating ourselves up.

"If I were Satan and wanted to destroy society, I think I would stage a full-blown blitz on its women. I would keep them so distraught and distracted that they would never find the calming strength and serenity for which their sex has always been known. He has effectively done that, catching us in the crunch of trying to be superhuman instead of realistically striving to reach our individual purpose and unique God-given potential within such diversity." -Patricia T. Holland, A Quiet Heart, p. 43. (PS--She can't sew and used to put herself down when she saw mothers bring their children to church with matching, homemade outfits.)

Unknown said...

Now I'm craving oreos!!!

And thanks for this post -- I think all moms need to hear this once in a while! xo

Chelsea said...

I love this post. Just the other day I almost posted this horrible pic of me on Insta, of my non-makeup face, sweat shirt wearing, tired eyes, self. I have so many days that seem like this day you described! I feel so much compassion to the woman I see with the toddler who is upset, or the woman who has that baby in her arms, while pushing a cart, while holding on to a 3 year old... cause I've been her. And it was even worse when Kallin was diagnosed Autistic, he was this little runner, he would just bolt away to some interesting thing... I'd be stuck reeling... running after him, with my other 2, and he'd cry and cry, cause he didn't understand....
These are the Mommy moments.
And the endless laundry..... haha.
Love you! Youre an incredible mother! Dont forget it!

Nikki said...

Love this post Christine, just what every mom needs to hear once in a while, that there are others out there feeling the same way they are. I constantly have to remind myself of the "drops of awesomeness" (have you seen that article? If not google it, try and find it,) I have done that day. It's hard, and it's easy to beat yourself up. Especially when your kids aren't reassuring you that you're a good mom. It is exhausting! xoxo

Vatcher Family said...

amen!

The Cornett Family said...

Ah I love this post!! You are an amazing Mom, Christine, and one thing I've always admired about you is how loving and patient you are with your kids! I need you to send some of that patience my way!! I miss you, we drove on Lumpkin the other day and Breck, goes, "Hey...I remember this place! Jack! Where's Jack??"

Jessica said...

Fascistic!!! Very wise and needed words. What an inspiration you are.